BarcodeBC > Articles > Why Does Creating an Enrollment Token Give Back the Wrong QR Code?
Creating an enrollment token for an MFA (multi-factor authentication) solution usually involves generating a QR code that users can scan to enroll their MFA device. If the QR code generated by the enrollment token is incorrect or not working, there could be several reasons for this:
1. Invalid secret key: The secret key used to generate the QR code may be invalid or incorrect. The secret key is used to generate the one-time password (OTP) that the MFA device will use to authenticate the user. Make sure that the secret key is correct and matches the MFA solution you are using.
2. Incorrect data encoding: The data used to generate the QR code may not be properly encoded. The QR code is generated based on the encoded data, so any errors in the encoding can result in an incorrect QR code. Make sure that the data is properly encoded and matches the format required by the MFA solution.
3. QR code generation issue: There may be an issue with the QR code generation process itself. Check that the code used to generate the QR code is correct and that there are no bugs or errors in the code.
4. Browser cache issue: If you are testing the QR code on a web browser, the issue could be related to the browser's cache. Try clearing the browser's cache and cookies and then reload the page to see if the QR code appears correctly.
5. QR code reader issue: Finally, the issue may be related to the QR code reader itself. Try using a different QR code reader or app to scan the code to see if it works.
In summary, there are several potential reasons why creating an enrollment token may result in an incorrect QR code. Check that the secret key and data encoding are correct, that there are no issues with the QR code generation process, and that the QR code reader is working correctly.
To get an Okta QR code for a new phone, you need to follow these steps:
1. Open a web browser and go to the Okta sign-in page for your organization.
2. Enter your Okta username and password and sign in to your account.
3. Once you are signed in, go to your Okta dashboard and click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
4. Select the "Settings" option from the dropdown menu.
5. In the Settings page, scroll down to the "Extra Verification" section and click on the "Setup" button next to "Security Keys".
6. In the next screen, select the "Add Security Key" option.
7. Choose the type of security key you want to use. For a mobile device, select "Okta Verify" and then select "Configure".
8. Select "Activate" and follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the Okta Verify app on your new phone.
9. Once you have installed the Okta Verify app on your new phone, return to the Okta settings page and click on "Scan QR Code".
10. Use the Okta Verify app to scan the QR code displayed on the screen.
11. Follow the instructions on the Okta Verify app to complete the setup process.
After completing these steps, you should have successfully set up Okta Verify on your new phone, and will be able to use it as an extra verification method for logging into your Okta account.